Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Foundation of our Hope

**Before you begin reading, sit down, breathe normally and be quiet for 1 minute.**
    You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word. – Psalm 119:114

    We hope for many things and place our hope in many things. If you think about it our hope is quite scattered and does not always have the strongest foundation. I love to daydream, picture a glorious moment or a great feeling. Many times these daydreams are hope, wishes and dreams but are not based in reality. Often when these dreams do not come to fruition I get disappointed. Quite a bit of energy spent on something that is not real!
    The hope that I want you to consider is a hope that is based in the promises of God. Hope that is based in God’s word and ultimately hope that is placed in the person of Jesus.
    Henri Nouwen says that hope is open-ended, fulfilled according to the promises [of God] and not just according to our wishes. I had never thought about basing ALL my hopes on God’s promises. Some of my hopes are based on God’s promises and others are wishful thinking. Hoping is more than wishful thinking, it is based on the promises of God. This hope does not disappoint. A hope based on my wishes alone will most likely disappoint but hope based on promises, found in God’s Word, will never disappoint. Read God’s word, become familiar with His promises. Promises create hope and you can hope in God’s promises!
    This Advent, THE Word became flesh in Jesus Christ. He is the fulfillment of our greatest hope.



**Sit quietly again for as much time as is available to you.**

No comments:

Post a Comment