Friday, August 16, 2013

Using Beauty

**Sit quietly, eyes closed and in silence for one minute before reading.**
 
    We all have our standards of beauty. Whether we admit it or not we have our preferences of what is beautiful. We have different tastes, styles, etc. This is understandable.

    As I consider what I perceive as beautiful I recognize that I value things of beauty that work, that function that give me something back that I deem valuable.

    For some reason I equate beauty with function, with what it can offer me. I rate beauty according to my needs, my wants and my demands. An ornate plate has lost its beauty because it is broken and cannot be used as a plate. A painting has lost its beauty because of age, scratches and mistreatment. A person has lost his or her beauty because he or she cannot function at the pace and ability of the rest of most of humanity.

    With this utilitarian concept of beauty I cannot see the value of a person. I miss how they are created in the image of God and reflect Him. I show favoritism and withhold love from others.

    How does your perspective of beauty influence how you love others?
 
 
**Sit again in silence for as long as is available to you.**

No comments:

Post a Comment