Monday, June 24, 2013

Convenience

**Sit quietly, eyes closed and in silence for one minute before reading.**

    I love convenience. There's my confession. I would love everything to come easily, to not work at anything and it appear or disappear according to my desires. Frustration and annoyance grow as I am required to work for something.

    I want a drive thru for every store. I want to know that something is in stock before I make a drive. I want the outside temperature to stay consistently at 65° F.

    Convenience is a high priority and because of it, I demand. And when I demean, I demean.

    As I want something to come with no effort, I cannot see someone else’s great effort. When I expect a great outcome with no effort I am saying that another’s work is not worthy. When I raise convenience to the level of an idol I have just put myself above everyone else and am willing to crush another for my convenience.

    I need Jesus to change my heart. I need the Spirit’s discernment to see when I demean and crush. It is not pretty, but this idol is real.   

    What does Jesus need to change in your heart? How do you need to hear the Spirit’s voice today? Spend some time in prayer, asking God to show you what needs to change.


**Sit again in silence for as long as is available to you.**

No comments:

Post a Comment