Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Line of Sight

**Sit quietly, eyes closed and in silence for one minute before reading.**

    As I drive I come to a stop sign. I am good about looking both ways for oncoming traffic, runners, dogs, etc. I look far down to my left and far down to my right. I look far but a few times I find myself missing something near. Maybe it is a runner or a walker and they are right by the stop sign. One time, there was a woman on a bike who screamed as she was a afraid I might hit her.

    As I reflect on my consistency in looking far left and far right I realize that I sometimes miss what is near. In some ways it is like looking far into the past and learning from it or making sure I don’t make the same mistake again. It is like looking far into the future and planning, making sure that nothing catches me off guard. As I focus on the past and future, I miss the present. I miss what is right in front of me.

    How about you? Do you see what is in front of you or are you missing it?

    Maybe it is a moment with a child? Maybe it is a moment with a friend? Maybe it is an opportunity to serve those near you? Maybe it is a moment that God is inviting you nearer yet you are too focused on the past or the future, to the left and to the right.

    How will you look for what is nearest to you today?


**Sit again in silence for as long as is available to you.**

No comments:

Post a Comment