Friday, January 11, 2013

The Gift of Paper

**Sit quietly for one minute before beginning to read.**

    I love paper. I love stationary, notepads, calendars, wrapping paper, cardstock, etc. There is often a gift card to my favorite paper store in my stocking. I love paper.
    A major reason why I love paper is that it is an expression of my creativity. I am not an artist who can paint or draw something from scratch or even watercolor. I like to put things together and paper is the perfect expression of creativity for me. (No, not a scrapbooker either). One of the ways I love to use paper is to write notes to people. Yes, I use paper, pen, an actual stamp and snail mail.
    There is something about receiving a note in the mail. It’s not an email, not a Christmas card (although those are fun) or a thank you card but a note. A handwritten, time-taken, words thought about, pain in the butt going to the post office for stamps note. There is something unique about a note that is encouraging and that expresses thoughtfulness different than anything else. The person reading can take their time, they can read it over and over again and they can save it. The person reading can respond to it on their own terms and in their own time. I believe a handwritten note has power because it includes incredible thoughtfulness and maybe because it is becoming such a rare thing.
    When was the last time you received a handwritten note? How can you share this thoughtful gift with another?


**Sit again for as long as is available to you.**

4 comments:

  1. My 3yo received some thank you notes recently and the family received a note from my sister along with some New Year gifts. The note cards have been read as a family aloud and now they go with us everywhere. Whether we're in the car or the house the kiddos carry the note cards with them, "reading" them, studying the words and letters, telling stories and just handling them. It is a gift that keeps giving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet gift! That's amazing to me how powerful it is with your kids! Love it!

      Delete
  2. Not too long ago, I did a gratefulness challenge where every day for 21 days I wrote in a journal various things I was thankful for and a handwritten note to someone. I really enjoyed the response I got. Handwritten notes truly are a rarity these days.

    ReplyDelete