Monday, June 10, 2013

Wrestling With or Wrestling Against?

**Sit quietly, eyes closed and in silence for one minute before reading.**

    A natural wrestler (think non-physical here), when an instructor of mine directed me to consider whether I was wrestling with or against God, I paused. I had never considered there might be a difference between wrestling with and wrestling against.

    As a natural question asker, critical thinker, challenger of authority and question asker, God and I have had a few wrestling matches in our relationship. It was not until I was asked about wrestling with or against that I considered the difference in my posture and heart towards God.

    Wrestling with implies I want to learn, grow and am coming to the match with humility. Wrestling against implies I am here to compete, win and am coming to the match with pride.

    Wrestling with implies a vulnerability, an openness and courage to hear what I may not want to hear. Wrestling against implies self-protection, being closed off and unwilling to hear.

    As I reflect on these differences I am not so sure that most of my wrestling matches were not matches against God.

    How about you? Are you wrestling with God today? Are you wrestling with or against?

    Whether with or against my prayer is God’s grace would take over and lead you deeper into His heart.


**Sit again in silence for as long as is available to you.**

No comments:

Post a Comment