Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Disordered Attachments

**Sit quietly, eyes closed and in silence for one minute before reading.**

    Something I love gets taken away and I get MAD! I cannot find what I am looking for and I get FRUSTRATED. Something does not happen on my timeline and I RAGE.

    So many strong, negative responses come when my priorities are misaligned and often they cause pain to another.

    Ignatius of Loyola calls these “disordered attachments”.  Attachments that are out of order. These can be good things, but there are disordered, not in the right order of priority. (aka “idols”)

    I
 would invite you to pray today. Ask God what your disordered attachments are. Pay attention to any great negative emotional swings. What is your heart attached to?

**Sit again in silence for as long as is available to you.**

2 comments:

  1. Oh, disordered attachments, you are so real. I'm reading more. St. Ignatius of Loyola was wise. This speaks to me in so many ways. Too often, I find myself heading down the negative response path and I've never considered myself that person. How do you know what I need before I know it? Thank you for the gift you give to me of prayer and contemplation, today, most especially.

    ReplyDelete