Friday, April 12, 2013

The Struggle to Live in the Present

**Sit quietly, eyes closed and in silence for one minute before reading.**

    The struggle to live in the present is common. We look to the former days of seeming ease or long for the future that promises rest. Sometimes the present is just too difficult, too demanding and too overwhelming. We long for a different day.

    In these times I turn nostalgic and wish for former days of ease and simplicity (or maybe just a different difficult). If I do not turn nostalgic I turn wishful for a future that looks different and I am sure is not as exhausting as the present.

    Yet we are called to live in the present, the reality that is before us. I struggle. I struggle to hear the story that is being told now rather than the story that has been told or the story that is yet to come. The desire to escape the present reality is so strong because the present is just too hard.

    Some of you know what I am talking about. You might be there now. You might have just walked through this type of season. You are not alone.

    As you struggle to live in the present know that you are not alone. May the love and grace of God so overwhelm you that you cannot do anything other than live fully.


**Sit again in silence for as long as is available to you.**

No comments:

Post a Comment