Monday, November 26, 2012

Hearing God

**Before you begin reading, sit down, breathe normally and be quiet for 1 minute.**

    It is the season of Christmas where unfortunately all things start to move faster, there is more on the to-do list and things are more crowded (literally). We tend to be more frustrated, less patient and lose sight of Jesus. This is the perfect opportunity to choose to slow down and hear what God wants to speak to our hearts.

    Slowing allows us to hear more clearly things that would not have heard the first time around. Chances are if we are running around busy, or concerned about our check list we often have not heard correctly the first time anyway! Slowing down allows me to hear more clearly what another is saying to me and also what God is saying to me.
    To sit and listen to God takes time, it takes discipline and it clarifies things.
    In the times I have practiced slowing I have sat down with a cup of hot tea (which almost automatically causes you to slow down), no agenda, possibly read something short and just waited. I am tempted to get up after about 10 minutes and read more or go do something productive. For me, I have found that after about 45 minutes of sitting and sipping hot tea that something comes forth. Either a truth pierces my heart or I recall something and God brings light to it. If I do not slow down and sit, I miss this.
    Consider making time to sit with God. Drink whatever warm drink you’d like and sit with Him, alone. Read a passage of Scripture and talk to God, but spend most of your time listening. Ask Him to speak to your heart. Pay attention to the things that come up and listen for God.

**Sit quietly again for as much time as is available to you.**

No comments:

Post a Comment