Friday, November 30, 2012

The Gift of Presence

**Before you begin reading, sit down, breathe normally and be quiet for 1 minute.**

    "Play with me". I hear these daily words from my three year old son. Most of the time he wants me to sit with him while he plays. He does not want me to actually play, He just wants me there. He wants me to be with him, to sit on the floor, watch and interact with him as he engages me. He simply wants my presence.
    I often find myself fidgeting, not able to sit still, tempted to grab my phone, check email or flip through a magazine. That would not be “playing with him” because something else has my attention and my affections. He simply wants my presence, my full presence.
    As we prepare for Christmas, I realize that the gift of presence is coming. God came to be with us, He brought His physical presence to a world in desperate need of a Savior. Emmanuel – God with us. With Christmas comes the gift of God’s presence through His Son, Jesus Christ.
    Presence is a powerful thing. God knew it and we as Jesus’ followers should consider how we can give this gift to others as well. Whether it is Jesus coming to earth or giving someone our full presence, it is a great gift. A gift that we are tempted to hold back because of many unnecessary and lesser affections. Are your affections set on the greatest gift of presence – Jesus? How will His presence empower you to give the gift of presence to another?



**Sit quietly again for as much time as is available to you.**


No comments:

Post a Comment