Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Extra Work

**Sit quietly, eyes closed and in silence for one minute before reading.**

“What God wants done clashes with what I want to do for Him.”
         Brennan Manning – The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus

    Noble as it sounds, often what we want to do for God is not what He is asking us to do. I have my list of virtuous offerings for God that would look good to the human eye. Yet my virtuous offerings have to do with me and how I want to serve (even if they are self-sacrificial and honorable) rather than how God is calling me. For some reason I think I know myself better and know what I best have to offer. If I would allow God, He will show me deeper parts of me and greater works than I could ever dream of. And here’s the kicker – His call would become exactly what I want to do and what God wants and what I want will slowly align.

    To discern what God wants means that I actually take the time to listen to God. I need to take the time to hear from God in prayer. This means I need to shut up. Yes, prayer includes talking to God and it also includes listening to God.

    Do you know what works God is calling you to? Are there “extras” that you have added? 
    Will you sit and listen today?

**Sit again in silence for as long as is available to you.**

No comments:

Post a Comment